"bunch of crazy white people... "


Every Billboard Modern Rock Chart #1 through 2005, listed in order of preference.  

10. U2, "One"

April 4-10, 1992



Nothing makes me worry about my sanity more than my inability think about Bono without noting all the signs that, if there is an antichrist in the world today, he's it (and the former Paul Hewson's PARENTS called him "the antichrist" when he was a kid, so don't accuse me of viciousness). Most of the parallels are clear after viewing The Omega Code (starring Michael York as a glad-handling, camera-hogging philanthropist who declares himself our new messiah after ending world hunger), but there's also the fact that U2's greatest songs collectively tell the story of Lucifer and his fall from grace. He was God's most faithful ("I Will Follow") and most powerful warrior ("Sunday, Bloody Sunday"), until he began to indulge in the sin of pride (in the name of love), finally deciding that he couldn't live with or without God ("you give it all but I want more...she's got me with nothing to win, and nothing left to lose"). His dissatisfaction with God's love ("I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For") eventually led to a climactic battle in which he's cast out of heaven ("Bullet In The Blue Sky").

"One" represents Lucifer's final rebuke to God. He's begun to accept his new role ("Will it make it easier on you now you've got someone to blame?"), but remains resentful about the lack of compensation he's received for his efforts ("You act like you never had love, and you want me to go without"). He's seething, bitter, spiteful ("Did I ask too much? More than a lot? You gave me nothing, now its all I got"), but also pained and desperate to be understood. His screams for recognition unanswered, he abandons the quest and identifies himself with the rest of God's subjects ("One life with each other - sisters, brothers"), in hopes of gaining a flock of his own. It's Paradise Lost in the shape of a power ballad, and nobody in rock is more qualified to give it voice.

You say "love is a temple,
Love a higher law.
Love is a temple,
Love: the higher law."
You ask me to enter,
But then you make me crawl.
And I can't be holding on
To what you got
When all you got is hurt

Comments:
...

Wow. Are those songs it for this cycle, or are there more? Because I now need to make that mix and listen to it.
 
There's plenty of mischief, irreverence (he's ALWAYS taking the Lord's name in vain) and seductive false idolatry in the years that followed, but "I Will Follow" through "One" takes us through the fall from grace, if you're looking to make a comp...or a hit Broadway musical retrospective!
 
You can't be serious.

That's quite a christian fundamentalist assessment of U2's lyrics. If Bono is the antichrist (whatever that may actually mean)then we are all antichrists. Especially christian fundamentalists who condemn without bounds. Christian's fear of questioning anything given them as doctrine is what is going to destroy the world, NOT U2's music, you inhuman Nazi!
 
Now they put Jesus in show business, and it's hard to get in the door.

That was kind of amazing. Ps, I like Bono and Jesus just fine, so maybe I too am destroying the world!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

archives

  • 02.19.2006
  •   
  • 02.26.2006
  •   
  • 03.05.2006
  •   
  • 03.12.2006
  •   
  • 03.19.2006
  •   
  • 03.26.2006
  •   
  • 04.02.2006
  •   
  • 04.09.2006
  •   
  • 04.16.2006
  •   
  • 04.23.2006
  •   
  • 04.30.2006
  •   
  • 05.07.2006
  •   
  • 05.14.2006
  •   
  • 05.21.2006
  •   
  • 05.28.2006
  •   
  • 06.04.2006
  •   
  • 06.11.2006
  •   
  • 06.18.2006
  •   
  • 07.02.2006
  •   

    links

    Anthony Is Right Popular Boogie Fever Land Of A Thousand Dances

    e-mail

    anthonyisright at gmail dot com

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?